Monday, December 10, 2007

unbelievable!

After the shootings at the YWAM base in Arvada and the subsequent shooting hours later at New Life Church I'm left with a myriad of emotions. I had some associations with the YWAM base years ago when they sent teams to the youth facility I was a chaplain at in Lakewood. So my heart went out to the young adults that were victimized by such a senseless and brutal act.

But then there was the two young women that were killed at NLC. When I read the names of the victims it dawned on me that I knew the family. The Works family used to come and visit the Vineyard in Canon City. We even had them over for lunch after church one Sunday a few years ago. I tried to imagine the devastation of losing two of your children by one evil act. My heart is so broken for the Works family.

The last thing on my mind when I started pastoring a church is what we need to do to ensure security for the people. Unheard of just 10-20 years ago! But the world has changed so much. Since 9-11 we live in a totally different world. Lord help us.

So what do I conclude? I am resolved to trust my life, my family and the church in God's hands. For He is faithful and in control of all things. I am also reminded of the need to be eternally minded. To focus on eternity and not just on the temporal and unpredictable fallen world we live in. That is the only place where I can find peace that overcomes all the tragedies that may come our way. Thank the lord that we are eternally in His grip!

4 comments:

John Linko said...

As a CVVC member and public safety professional, I feel for the families involved, including the family of the misguided, troubled young man who precipitated the tragedies in Arvada and Colorado Springs.

As the local media has already illustrated, evaluating additional security measures will likely be an unfortunate but essential consequence of this event.

It certainly presents a dichotomy for a House of God as to whether or not to explore the possibility of allowing the potential use of lethal force to protect worshipers. I'm sure that careful evaluation and prayer will lead CVVC toward an effective planning and implementation process.

I look forward to participating in this process if called to do so.

Yadah said...

So many thoughts hit me over the past day and a half as I heard read the news. The images on the internet were vivid. People praying . . . people running . . . one security guard facing the gunman saying "surrender". Then, in her words, "I was given an assignment . . ."

I don't want to spiritualize this too much, but as I took in what happened, I realized this is what it looks like in the realm of the Spirit as well. The enemy is always trying to rob, kill and destroy. It's a fight in the spiritual realm that sometimes plays out in the flesh. The guard's training kicked in and the Holy Spirit brought steadiness that allowed a much less tragic ending than might have been. What a picture to embrace for those who trust Christ!

I am much more aware of my own mortality as well.
The "appointment" we all have is only known by our Father. I get the feeling that those students who were killed might even have understood this concept.

My heart goes out to the shooter's family. If you've ever had to live with the choices of a family member, you have just a little bit of understanding of what this family is experiencing. It is said that they walked in faith, so this must just be devistating. I believe this could be an example of letting the world see how we can be known as Christians "by our love".

wadeyamo said...

it is pretty crazy to see the world change. as we press more into the Kingdom of God the kingdom of darkness is more concentrated. i respect your eternal mind set and i'm striving to have the same mind set. your awesome dad.

love you,
wade

Anonymous said...

Pastor Kirk,

Happy New Year! We miss your blogging!!!!