Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Challenged in Columbus

We're here at the Columbus Vineyard for the Church that Works conf. One thing God is speaking loud and clear to me is I have made an intentional shift from being the leader that needs to make things happen to a leader that needs to build a heritage. To build up other leaders. To shift from being the Joshua that is so amped on running into the battle with a sword in hand to being the Moses that blessed Joshua and sent him out. As I have to accept the reality that at 51 years of age I don't have the energy I used to but I have learned a few things over the 30+ years in ministry. So I need to give it away...continue to pass the baton to emerging leaders...to coach more and accept that I can't always be on the field playing at this stage of my life and ministry. I do accept this challenge warmly and am actually ok with it. This actually surprises me but it has began to settle in my heart. THe question that looms in my heart now is who to invest in, who to raise up, who's heart to speak into. God, I ask you to show me who the Joshua's are and invest in them. To be strategic and intentional with this. Amen!!!

4 comments:

wadeyamo said...

thats so humbling and i respect that so much much. i know God will definitely show you who to invest in. i'm excited to see whats in the next season of your life. your are a patriarch!!!

Yadah said...

Hmmm . . . what happens if you're older than 51 and still want to have your like spoken into? Or . . . even want to speak into others' lives as well?

Where do we come to learn how to fill the measure of our creation?

Keep blogging Pastor. It's great to read your thoughts!

Charity said...

I understand the "Moses model" of leadership. But I have to go back to the "Jesus model" at times. (Never read about this one, I'm making it up right now:-)

Jesus rose up disciples, but he never got away from the people. He let himself be touched by dirty, diseased people all the time. Sure, so did his disciples, but he was still there, getting his hands dirty to the end.

So anyway, I think it’s got to be a good balance of both. At some point you do have to be standing on the mountain above the people, holding your arms in the air. And at some point, some of us need to come up and help you hold your arms up. But in the end, you’ve got to come off the mountain and lead us some more.

We’ll see ya’ at the bottom! :-)

~Charity

Anonymous said...

Why does it take so long in life to learn such a valuable lesson (you've got 8 years on me)? A significant part of becoming a team is relying on all the players. I love your blog.