Monday, November 12, 2007

I'm just a mug

I'm just a mug. In the midst of an extremely busy schedule I fight with the tyranny of the urgent. I have continued to fight with finding a rythym of my schedule and finding the time for what is most important. I knew pastoring a church of CV's magnitude was going to be a challenge but at times it can be overwhelming. Here's the tension in all of this...I love what I'm doing. I am so blessed to be in a situation where I feel like I was wired for this by my maker.

This brings me to the point of this blog...I'm just a mug! Dave Blakeslee shared his "Potter's Wheel" message this weekend here at CV. It was incredible. Truly one of the most impactful messages I've ever seen. As he's shaping a lump of clay into a beautiful pot he's sharing God's heart. Amazing!! I was all dialed in on the different types of pots God makes for different purposes. For some unknown reason I do believe God made this little Oriental pot to be a "Pastor". For that I am thankful and feel so blessed that I get to do this.

But then he picked up a mug. It's one letter from mud. It's small and unassuming. But here's where God nails me...the picture of the mug being precious to the owner because it is held in their bosom filled with hot coffee. It is a picture of endearment...of intimacy. So the Lord says to me..."Kirk, don't forget that you're that special to me. I love it when we spend that time together in the mornings. Don't let busyness keep us from those moments together".

It wasn't a message of condemnation. It was an invitation. It was a reminder that God really likes spending time with me and was warning me to not let the ministry get in the way of
God ministering to my soul. I like being a mug. What are you?

(by the way, if you missed Dave's message, I strongly encourage you to get the DVD of the service. It was amazing.).

5 comments:

Ducky said...

"I like being a mug. What are you?"
I'm a duck. Awkward and waddling on land. Noisy and annoying at times. Definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed most of the time. But the Lord has given me these glorious wings so I can fly with Him. I am of the earth and yet above the earth. Of the world and yet not of the world. I am a very blessed pile of feathers and webbed feet. I will get that DVD. Remember also that Asian teapots are some of the most beautiful objects ever created. Revel in your "pot-ness"!

calloused knees said...

I, too, was very blessed be the message this past weekend.

I purchased a "mug" so that every time I used it I would reflect upon the message.

I can't help but compare a mug to a cup which brings two passages to mind.

First in 1 Cor 11:25 where we see the cup used in the new covenant between God and His people, and also in Mark 14:36. This example of Jesus wanting the will of the Father to be done, even if it meant he had to be the sacrifice.

I have to ask myself if I am always willing to let the will of the Father be done in my own life.

Thanks for your diligence, and your willingness to teach us.

Yadah said...

I bought a book (Simple Church), a CD (about pots/mud) and a mug on my way out on Saturday night.

It's Tuesday and I've listened to the CD on my way to work two mornings in a row. I'm even leaving just a little earlier to have the time to spend with God. I actually do hold my mug as I sit in the car and listen. It's a quiet place, ya know?

I am still hearing Pastor Blakeslee say he felt there would be a season of creativity in various areas. Boy . . . life sure sucks that out of me sometimes. I think the Holy Spirit is nudging me on that one.

Anonymous said...

I was also blessed here a few of my thoughts. Whatever type of vessel the potter makes has a purpose. Every piece has greatness written all over it no matter what its purpose. They are all made out of the same mud. The bottom line is that in whatever type of greatness God calls us too. We are all made out of the same mud - we have the same potter and one pot is not better than the other. As I enter this comment I realize that I am not much of a writer, I can't spell all that well, but I love to encourage. I realized that to those of us that feel we are "not the sharpest tool in the shed" as ducky stated. This sermon brought hope and a sense of renewed purpose and encouragment. Look at it this way a blunt hammer head has greater impact on something then a ice pick. Both important tools but with different purposes. Thank God for that. I am glad he is my potter.

Anonymous said...

Your November 11th recognition of fire, police, corrections, various law enforcement and other persons who work to help keep the peace and safeguard our homeland as well as military Veterans touched me deeply. I have never seen anyone do that before. Thank you.